Thursday, April 7, 2011

"The circle of your friends will defend your silver lining"


"You know it's nothing new, bad news never had good timing/then, the circle of your friends will defend your silver lining"- John Mayer The Heart of Life




My dad came up to visit tonight, and we had quite a deep chat. I swear that dude can just look at me and he goes "Babygirl, why are you sad?" before I even realize that I am.

I started to tell him about all the worries I had about leaving my friends once I get out of school. Will we keep in touch? Will they be in my wedding? Will my kids call them "Aunt"? I've heard it all... Your good friends will always stick with you, people will surprise you, keeping in touch is a full-time job. And I wholeheartedly believe all of it.

He told me tonight something that really made sense. We all have different circles of friends. He told me to imagine a really still pond, and then drop a rock in it. This forms a ripple, and everyyyboddyyy knows we all get a few ripples in our life. If you look at the formation that is made from these ripples, you can see several circles. There is the center, which is you and your family. The next circle affected by this ripple are your closest friends. From that point on, the ripples continue to grow and spread out farther. These circles may not be close to you, but they are affected by your life and they love you, always, whether you know it or not. Some circles will cry with you on your porch swing while others will send a card or a casserole. Some may just think about you after they see you at the grocery store. But no matter how far you grow apart from people, you are always still connected to them. And, as you continue to live your life and meet new friends, your circle gets even bigger and bigger.

See? He is one wise, wise dude.

No comments:

Post a Comment